Baton Rouge DMV | New Title Transfers
Your auto title, officially called certificate of title is issued by the state of Louisiana and proves ownership of a motor vehicle. Getting a new title issued at Lobdell Auto Title is fast and efficient. When you sell or gift your motor vehicle or when ownership changes due to a death in the family, a title transfer has to take place.
New Car Titles
It is common practice for the dealer that sold the vehicle toÂ submit the proper titling information and fees on behalf of the buyer. It is possible to handle this on your own if you choose to. Those interested in applying for a new title on their own can certainly do so. Just come down to Lobdell Auto Title and we will assist you.
Used Car Titles
If you have purchased a used vehicle, or if you have received a used vehicle as a gift, the certificate of title or auto title must be legally transfered into your name. You may accomplish this by obtaining the following documents from Lobdell Auto Title and submitting the docuemnts with the appropriate fees.
- The current title, with the assignment completed by the seller or donor (signing the title over to you), and notarized. The title must include the federal odometer disclosure, if the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- If the title does not indicate the date of sale and selling price, a completed Bill of Sale, signed by both current and new owner and notarized, is required.
- An Odometer Disclosure Statement, if the title does not include this information and the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- If applicable, the original or copy of the vehicle’s financing statement or security agreement.
- Proof of liability insurance coverage, unless the vehicle was purchased from a dealer.